711 Brightwater Court is a colorful six-story Art Deco apartment building in Brighton Beach, “Little Odessa,” a short block from the Boardwalk.
Confession: I didn’t discover this by researching in AIA Guide to New York City or NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission. I spotted it in an episode of the sci-fi series “Person of Interest.” (The program uses NYC locales even to masquerade as foreign cities.)
Some of the terra cotta needs repair or replacement, but I hope I look as good when I reach 80 years old!
I couldn’t find the name of the architect – if anyone knows, please let me know via the Contact form. Thanks!
711 Brightwater Court Vital Statistics
- Location: 711 Brightwater Court at Coney Island Avenue
- Year completed: 1935
- Architect: Martyn N. Weinstein
- Floors: 6
- Style: Art Deco
711 Brightwater Court Recommended Reading
- The New York Times Real Estate | Waterfront Living That Doesn’t Break the Bank (April 30, 2010)
- The New York Times Real Estate | Habitats | Brighton Beach, Brooklyn | The Beach House on the Fifth Floor (July 20, 2012)
- Apartable listing
- Curbed NY listing
- Fillmore Real Estate listing
- Forgotten New York blog
- Urban Mermaid blog