The De Lamar Mansion (Joseph Raphael De Lamar House), now the Polish Consulate General in New York, is a prime example of Beaux Arts architecture in New York.
C.P.H. Gilbert designed this for Joseph De Lamar, who struck it rich in the Colorado Gold Rush and wanted a home fit to enter New York’s high society. Besides towering over neighboring mansions (such as J.P. Morgan’s home across the street), the De Lamar mansion had the unheard-of luxury of an underground garage, served by electric hoist. [See Daytonian in Manhattan]
Joseph and his 10-year-old daughter Alice – he was divorced – lived in the palatial home with nine servants.
After Joseph died in 1918, Alice moved out and sold the mansion to the American Bible Society, which later sold it to the National Democratic Club. Much later (1973), the Republic of Poland bought the mansion to house its consulate.
De Lamar Mansion Vital Statistics
- Location: 233 Madison Avenue at E 37th Street
- Year completed: 1905
- Architect: C.P.H. Gilbert
- Floors: 5
- Style: Beaux Arts
- New York City Landmark: 1975
- National Register of Historic Places: 1983
De Lamar Mansion Recommended Reading
- Wikipedia entry
- NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission designation report
- The New York Times Streetscapes | De Lamar Mansion | Still an Eye-Popper After All These Years (December 12, 2008)
- Daytonian in Manhattan blog
- New York City Statues listing