The Ukrainian Institute (aka Harry F. Sinclair House, originally Isaac D. and Mary Fletcher House) is among the last of the Fifth Avenue mansions. It was designed by prominent architect C.P.H. Gilbert and has had a succession of famous owners. The carved stone ornaments are a menagerie of dragons, reptiles, and urchins – that have absolutely nothing to do with Ukrainian culture.
Charles Pierrepont Henry Gilbert (no relation to Cass Gilbert) is well known for his opulent townhouses and mansions. Several other C.P.H. Gilbert mansions are nearby. See the architect’s Wikipedia reference for more details.
Ukrainian Institute Vital Statistics
- Location: 2 E 79th Street at Fifth Avenue
- Year completed: 1899
- Architect: C.P.H. Gilbert
- Floors: 7
- Style: French Gothic
- National Register of Historic Places: 1978
Ukrainian Institute Recommended Reading
- Wikipedia entry
- Ukrainian Institute of America website
- The City Review article
- The New York Times Streetscapes column
- Scouting New York virtual tour
- Empire Guides listing