Fashion Center Building, in the words of The New York Times, “is hardly a traffic-stopping landmark.” But its entrance and its terra cotta decoration are noteworthy – someone was paying attention to details.
The Seventh Avenue entrance was restored in 1994 to close to its original state – the ornate wrought iron grill had been removed and the vestibule had been enclosed with a line of modern doors. The restoration architect, George Ranalli, added modern touches in the floor, lighting and lobby desk, but otherwise preserved the spirit of the original.
Fashion Center Building Vital Statistics
- Location: 525 Seventh Avenue at W 38th Street
- Year completed: 1922
- Architect: Henry Ives Cobb
- Floors: 22
- Style: Romanesque Revival
Fashion Center Building Recommended Reading
- The New York Times Arts review (March 6, 1994)
- George Renalli, Architect project page
- Emporis database