241 Central Park West is easily confused with 55 Central Park West – they were both designed by Schwartz & Gross; what’s more, the developer of record is 55 Central Park West Corp. (according to the NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission).
The brick and cast stone facade takes up the entire blockfront between W 84th and W 85th Street. Protruding decorative elements – flowering stalks of some kind – decorate the building’s base and crown; otherwise the structure is quite plain.
The building is not without fans – you can even order a pewter model! (see below)
241 Central Park West Vital Statistics
- Location: 241 Central Park West at W 84th Street
- Year completed: 1931
- Architect: Schwartz & Gross
- Floors: 19
- Style: Art Deco
- New York City Landmark: 1990
241 Central Park West Recommended Reading
- Wikipedia entry (Schwartz & Gross)
- NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission designation report (Upper West Side / Central Park West Historic District, vol 2, pg. 40)
- City Realty review
- Columbia University | NY Real Estate Brochures Collection
- Replica Buildings model