Bleecker Tower, originally the Manhattan Savings Institution, is a distinctive red sandstone and brick structure. Its chamfered corner and Romanesque arches are on a massive scale – appropriate for the bank that it was. (Lofts filled the upper stories.)
After mergers with two other banks, Manhattan Savings Institution became Manhattan Savings Bank – and closed the branch at 644 Broadway in the early 1940s. “MSI” remains embossed on the building’s copper pediment.
In the 1970s the owners converted the building to residential lofts; in the 1980s the building was converted again, to luxury loft apartments. In 2000 the owners embarked on a major facade restoration.
Bleecker Tower is in good company: Landmarked Empire State Bank Building is across the street; landmark Bayard-Condict Building is next door.
Bleecker Tower Vital Statistics
- Location: 644 Broadway at Bleecker Street
- Year completed: 1891
- Architect: Stephen Decatur Hatch
- Floors: 8
- Style: Romanesque Revival / Queen Anne
- New York City Landmark: 1999
Bleecker Tower Recommended Reading
- Wikipedia entry (Stephen Decatur Hatch)
- NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission designation report NOHO Historic District – page 50)
- Daytonian in Manhattan blog
- City Realty review
- Forgotten New York blog