Friends House (originally the B.W. Mayer Building) seems Mayan-inspired in its brickwork, terra cotta snakes and skulls, and turquoise details. The architect, Herman Lee Meader, also designed the Cliff Dwelling apartments on Riverside Drive and the Mayan-inspired 154-160 West 14th Street.
As the B.W. Mayer Building, it was originally offices; then for many years it was a trade school. In 1994 the Quakers purchased the building and restored it, converting the structure to a group residence.
Friends House Vital Statistics
- Location: 130 E 25th Street at Lexington Avenue
- Year completed: 1916
- Architect: Herman Lee Meader
- Floors: 7
- Style: Art Deco
Friends House Suggested Reading
- Wikipedia entry (for architect Herman Lee Meader)
- Wikimedia photos
- New York Songlines: 25th Street (graphical street-by-street directory)
- Friends House website