Originally known as the Eighth Coastal Artillery Armory, Kingsbridge Armory was built in 1912-17 with what was then the world’s largest drill hall, to accommodate artillery.
According to “Guide to New York City Landmarks,” the armory was designed by Pilcher & Tachau and inspired by a medieval French castle at Pierrefonds.
The main hall has been unused by the military for more than a decade, and New York City now controls the building. (A National Guard unit still uses the north annex, adjacent to the armory.) The Bronx Borough President has endorsed a proposal to turn the armory into an ice skating center with nine rinks.
Kingsbridge Armory Vital Statistics
- Location: 29 W Kingsbridge Road between Jerome and Reservoir Avenues
- Year completed: 1917
- Architect: Pilcher & Tachau
- Style: Romanesque
- New York City Landmark: 1974
- National Register of Historic Places: 1982
Kingsbridge Armory Suggested Reading
- Wikipedia article
- “Guide to New York City Landmarks” by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission
- NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission designation report
- Google’s satellite view