322 Central Park West is the only work of prolific New York architects George and Edward Blum to be located on Central Park West. The Blum brothers designed many Upper West Side apartment houses – why only one on CPW? Possibly because the avenue was slower to develop than other streets. The biggest park-side landmarks were erected at or after the end of the Blums’ practice.
The 15-story building rests on a three-story limestone-block base; its ornately carved, arched entrance is on W 92nd Street. As in many Blum apartment buildings, windows on the top three stories have elaborate terra cotta surrounds.
322 Central Park West has 49 apartments, and became a cooperative in 1962.
322 Central Park West Vital Statistics
- Location: 322 Central Park West at W 92nd Street
- Year completed: 1926
- Architect: George and Edward Blum
- Floors: 15
- Style: neo-Renaissance
- New York City Landmark: 1990 (Upper West Side/Central Park West Historic District)
322 Central Park West Recommended Reading
- Wikipedia entry
- NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission designation report (pg. 52)
- Street Easy NY listing (includes floor plans)
- City Realty review
- Architonic project page: apartment renovation
- Emporis database
- George & Edward Blum