75 Central Park West is a lesser-known work of a master of New York apartment house architecture, Rosario Candela.
This building seems to have reversed the normal progression of older, luxury buildings: Apartments have been combined rather than divided; the original 55 units are now 48.
Over the years, many of the windows have been altered. Originally, all of the windows were pairs of three-over-three double-hung windows. Many of the pairs have been combined and/or changed to casement or fixed windows.
75 Central Park West Vital Statistics
- Location: 75 Central Park West at W 67th Street
- Year completed: 1929
- Architect: Rosario Candela
- Floors: 15
- Style: neo-Renaissance
- New York City Landmark: 1990
75 Central Park West Recommended Reading
- Wikipedia entry (Rosario Candela)
- NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission designation report (Upper West Side-Central Park West Historic District, Vol. 2, pg. 7)
- City Realty review
- StreetEasy New York listing
- The New York Apartment Houses of Rosario Candela and James Carpenter